4th of July comments

Who we are and why we make the effort to make the difference!

Our Independence Day give’s all of us a chance to pause and reflect about what we are as people. What we are as a country. That people still want to live here. Regardless of the cost (not money).


While we (our country) changes, sometimes we as people may not embrace the changing environment (not necessarily - global warming). This is about how we embrace what we have and don’t have.


It seems as the adage (of history repeating itself) is the reminder. The reminder of what we grew up with. How idealism was or could change because we could will it. Yet, popular culture, advertising, big business and big government can talk about “pie in the sky,” or reaching for “the brass ring.”  

In reality, it moves as fast as we can walk. My point is about the American Veteran. How we are taken for granted, how we as country pay tribute to the ideal. Yet fail to protect them from or care about the hardships they endure: from low pay, medical expenses, living expenses or physiclal/mental wellness. The list goes on with all that we hear of; and yet don’t address.


Yes there are some of us who continue to champion, foster and promote their ability to continued success. Not all of us are born into families with a college fund or decent job waiting for them after military service. Our American Veterans are at times ignored. How many of the American public will acknowledge them on the 4th of July, Memorial Day or Veterans Day?


As mention previously, advertising, big business, more less professional sports or celebrities will actively donate money from their accounts to help those?

I’m not talking about lending their endorsement and addressing the existing 10 % of our nations population to give more. It’s the other 90% that doesn’t. That is the difference!


Yet somehow, because of other veterans who make the difference every day as much as possible. Like Vietnam veteran James Abram, Pointman Soldiers Heart Ministries visit either the website http://pointmansoldiersheartministry.org/ or Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PSHMinistry/ in the Greater Philadelphia area over 20 plus years. Or Korean veteran Bernie Rogoff dedication and service to and with the Education Foundation for the Colorado National Guard please visit their http://efcong.org/ or Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/EFCONG/ (Bernie is at the far right wearing the baseball cap.


Just like former post commander Cipriano Griego dedication and service with American GI Forum, Denver Mile Hi Chapter stop by and visit their website http://agifmilehigh.org/ or Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AGIFMHC/ from the early 1970’s until 2016. These are just some examples of helping others.


I shall I always remember my Uncle Philip Gonzalez service with the 99th Infantry Division at the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944. He was wounded and lost his left leg. The division went on to liberate the subcamps of Dachau concentration camp complex, April  1945.

WW II, Vietnam

Proud World War II, veteran, Uncle Philip, Aunt Rachel.

 

Advertisements

About pleiku1970

My service at Pleiku, 1970 is significient because of the Cambodian Incursion. Close proximity to exit routes from the Ho Chi Minh Trail and the "Tri-Border area of Laos,Cambodia and Vietnam. This Air Force assignment was different than most, because of the isolation.
This entry was posted in Current Events, Vietnam Service, World War II and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s